Each year, over 1,000 people die in traffic accidents on New York’s roads, and almost 140,000 accident victims end up in the emergency room. Serious motor vehicle accidents often leave people with severe injuries that prevent them from working. Often, this results in substantial financial distress, as victims struggle to keep up with mounting medical bills while not earning an income.
At Russo Law, we represent car accident victims and help them get the compensation they deserve. We are committed to client service and, unlike many other law firms in the area, are highly responsive to our clients’ needs. To schedule a free consultation with one of our New York City auto accident lawyers, call us at (917) 675-6553 or contact us.
Get a free consultation with our experienced attorneys
Our firm has experience handling all types of car accident claims, often involving the following types of collisions:
A car accident can cause minor injuries or life-altering ones. Our clients have suffered many kinds of injuries, such as:
In the 1970s, New York became a “no-fault” insurance state. Every driver is required to have at least $50,000 in personal injury protection benefits, which help cover medical expenses and lost wages after an accident. Because these benefits are no-fault, it does not matter who caused the accident. No-fault benefits help injured motorists receive compensation without having to go through a lengthy lawsuit. However, $50,000 might not be enough to cover your losses, especially if your injuries are serious. Surgery or admittance to the hospital can quickly lead to hefty medical bills. For this reason, motorists can bring a lawsuit to receive additional compensation if they sustain a “serious injury” as defined by New York’s insurance laws.
If you decide to sue, you will need to show that the other driver is at fault for the accident. Generally, this means pointing to a negligent or reckless action that the driver took that caused the collision and your injuries. Some of the more common examples of driver negligence that can easily lead to a serious accident include:
As an accident victim, it’s important to remember that negligence can be difficult to spot, so you should always have an attorney review your case after an accident. If you don’t, you could be walking away from significant compensation to which you are legally entitled.
Sometimes, both drivers are negligent and contribute to the collision. New York law once prohibited a driver from suing if their negligence contributed in any way to the accident. This meant that a driver could be 1% responsible for the crash, but they were prevented from holding the other driver (who was 99% responsible) accountable in court. Today, the laws have thankfully changed, and you can bring a lawsuit even if you were partially to blame. In fact, you can be up to 99% to blame for your injuries and still receive compensation so long as someone else is 1% responsible. There are many ways you can be contributorily negligence, such as:
Because of your contributory negligence, the amount of compensation you can receive will be reduced by your percentage of fault. If you have $200,000 in damages but are 50% responsible, then the maximum you can receive is $100,000.
If you have suffered an injury in a car accident, you need an experienced car accident lawyer by your side. At Russo Law, our Greater New York City car accident lawyers have helped countless motorists get the compensation they need to cover their medical bills, replace lost wages, and fix the damage to their vehicles.
Contact us today. Unlike other law firms, we won’t ever treat you like a number. You can count on a quick response and easy access to our attorneys, who can answer any questions that you have. In addition, we’ll never collect legal fees unless we successfully recover compensation on your behalf. For more information, please schedule a free consultation by calling (917) 675-6553 or contacting us today.
We'll fight for you while you focus on your health